Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Average Guy

I have yet to meet him. Joe Average. Of all the thousands of people that I have met and worked and played with, I don't think I would insult any of them by calling them by this fictional moniker. Much trouble has been stirred by glossing over humanity to find a common denominator that strips Joe of his. 

Much.
Joe doesn't exist in a spreadsheet any more than he exists in reality. 
But that's as may be.
Everyone has their humanity despite what we are led to believe. Even Arabs. I won't berate Joe because he isn't aware of things that I think I am aware of. And I say 'think', because I deal in speculation. I 'know' very little. I know that I read a lot. Mostly other people's speculation. We all seem to be playing a game out here of "if-this-then-this". Trying desperately to connect dots that will vindicate our particular brand of awareness. What I think I "know" for example, is that every single problem we face in our modern world has its roots in how we raise our children as a species. Every one. I have yet to be disproved on this point. Wanna give it a shot?  It all comes back to the simple concept that what you are around your kids influences them and how they will act when they get to the age where they make their own decisions. That to me is more than obvious. The old saw that tells us that 'people don't change' is of course, true. The reason it is true is that by the time children have been hard-wired with the example of their parents and are on their own...if they
make it that far...will behave in the only fashion they know. Operate from a core program that tells them 'if it was good enough for Mom and Dad...". Or, the program in their biologic computer rebels and tells them, "Mom and Dad had their heads up their asses and there is no way that I am going to be like them". Of course you can substitute 'Mom and Dad' with whatever role-models you had if you don't come from a nuclear family...and who's to say that we should?


This Be The Verse

By Philip Larkin


They fuck you up, your mum and dad. 
They may not mean to, but they do. 
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.
But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats, 
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.
Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.



But that's as may be. To see the world for what it is, look at it through your kid's eyes. Look at their education, their facebook page, their celebrity worship, their worship of the material. You taught them this. And it is reinforced by the very media that you hate. Social and non-interactive. That is the world you handed them. Is it good enough for you? If it isn't, well you need to talk to them. Like the mistaken concept in the second "Back To The Future" where Doc says "We got to do something about your kids". That is all he had to do. Talk to them. Telling Marty and his girlfriend that, is enough. They don't have to take a Delorian to a possible outcome to fix what hasn't happened yet.

My parents told me 'no' incessantly...and even that wasn't enough. No...is a good word. Along with the word 'hate', it has gotten a bad rap. Both serve a fundamental purpose without which we would be lost. Well, more lost than we are.
But back to 'Joe'. We all know him even though he doesn't exist any more than that half a child that we see on population charts. He is an affable bloke, Joe. He believes everything he is told. Questions nothing. Goes along with the crowd...no matter where they are going. Watches TV 24/7. Drinks the right beer, uses the right
deodorant and has a designer dog... and half a cat. We try against insurmountable odds to wake him up to the horrors that surround him, but the knucklehead just won't live like us. He doesn't have time. So why do we bother when he is a figment of the imaginative marketing strategy of corporations? Because we know him too well, I guess. We gave birth to him and just walked away. Went to work to buy him the things he asks us for. So we won't have to be placed in that uncomfortable position of saying "no".
Lane change:
Mark Twain once said of death: " I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit".
Several readers have pointed out that I cannot possibly get a defensible position defined here in essays with less than two-three thousand words. Bullshit. I have a post-modern take on it. Impressionistic essays.
Just sayin...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool.

and the half a cat...

where can half pussy lovers get that ?

Joe Average keeps the networks cranking out the same lie...

50 years later

sometimes I have half a mind to

slap the shit out of {a} young female {15} with the attitude

cause reasoning is not an option

http://buelahman.wordpress.com/2013/11/15/the-kennedy-assassination-and-the-press/

go figure [TIME]

LOVE

Davy