Saturday, September 3, 2011

'Specially People...



In the 60's I was a fan of the musical, "Hair". 

Yeah...I know.  As it has since been revived and filmed several times...it could be viewed as nothing more than yiddish pot stirring.  But, actually this was not a jewish enterprise... it was written and produced in its entirety...book and music...by Gentiles.  Even its stars on Broadway...Lynn Kellogg, Shelly Plimpton, Ronnie Dyson et al...all Gentiles.  Of course it changed over time and became about celebrity and money and its power got lost.  Then the REAL tribe moved in.  But it was a great musical as written...I saw it in the old Biltmore where it ran , with the original cast. They shook the rafters of that old theater and the values of a country.  It rocked.  You cannot see it now as it was then.  Do not watch any of the altered versions, the revivals or films of the play if you want to come away with the bite and the flavor it left in the late sixties.

My older sister is a loveable goof.  Always was.  Although she would probably test into genius level intelligence, she never really used her abilities.  Well she had many jobs...mostly she enjoys teaching...math of all things.  She is one of those people that understands and remembers calculus entirely.  I'm sure you know that type.  Which made it very difficult for me to follow her through school.  I am not a real "math" kind of person.  Not an analytical thinker I guess.  
Anyway, she keeps me on my toes to this day.  And as I have said here before, although she is a tough nut to crack...if I could win her over to my way of thinking...I  believe I would quit harping on about the world's problems and whom I think is behind them.  But she still giggles at me and calls me a conspiracy nut.  Although it is all in good fun...it is a puzzlement to me.  Her lack of social concerns...and my obsession with them. 


I remember when I was singing the praises of that musical to her...how popular it had become and how it was changing minds about a lot of things, and on and on...like I have been known to do - she said something to me that always stuck.   While trying to get her on-board the "revolution", I often referred to that play.  She told me "That song, "Easy to be hard" is from your Hair play thing, right?"  "You should listen to the lyrics...they were written for you".

"...how can people be so heartless
how can they ignore their friends, 
easy to be hard; easy to be cold.
'specially people that care about strangers,
who care about evil and social injustice.
Do you only care about the bleeding crowd?
How about a needing friend?
I need a friend."

Well the song was a lover's lament in the play(later becoming a big hit)...yet among other crazy sentiments expressed as generational "FU"... it addressed the obsessive social conscience that was part and parcel to the "revolution" in which a lot of us were embroiled.  It was me at the time, and maybe even now.  Although I don't feel my attitude toward injustice in the world has overshadowed my personal life that much...maybe it has.  What would I have been if not for the experiences that I had then.  Indeed what would any of us have been without our personally felt influences?  
Sis did the 50's twice, then straight on to the 70's.  Many people did.  They didn't get it...they didn't care.  To them the 60's were just a brief interruption to their lives as they were told they should be lived.  A pause in the materialism of the 50's.  We were  a generation that was troublesome to them, and just fodder for the evening news.

I will probably never win her over on an academic level.  And it would be impossible to do so on an emotional one.  Though if she used that inquisitive mind of hers, even at this later date, like many others that let injustice whiz by them unnoticed throughout their lives...they could certainly be the leaders of this the latest social revolt.  And that is what we are going to need...sanity in the times to come. If the intelligentsia of any generation could get their noses out of their own lives long enough to look around and understand that all do not have their advantages...it would certainly be easier for we that have understood from the beginning that change is needed, and is truly coming.  
These are fine people that would hurt no one.  With much to contribute to our world.  And perhaps they feel that they are doing so in their small ways.  But I charge them with a bigger task. Because it seems to escape them that their lives can and do influence the world, we are lacking much of their input that could expedite this unveiling...this birth process.

I guess that type of intellect when mixed with our brand of social caring, produce the people that we now admire.  This is a time for the poets and the thinkers.  As are all times of social upheaval.  We live in interesting times to be sure.  But more than just interesting, I feel the world is at the very brink of an apocalypse.  One of a magnitude that this tired old world has never seen.  Win or lose...we that only 'care about the bleeding crowd', could use a little help.  Those brilliant minds and hearts which they harbor are needed. 

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Timster, you old softy!!

I like you more than ever.

Regards,

James.

Anonymous said...

I appreciated your words here today. Someone I love says that the heart has eyes and no legs; the head has the legs but is blind.
I often feel like you. In my very large family I am the mystic, the poet, the artist, the lover. I see so much, and yet like you I feel like I could use lots of legs!!
In our present-day world, the heart and head are not friendly, we are split. The vision must be clear in order to get very far, otherwise, the blind man will stumble and fall.
I am new here and I love your nakedness in your sharing.
I have many like your dear Sis, who just don't see what I most clearly see.
Thanks for your heart and vision!
Marigold

Noor al Haqiqa said...

Well Tim, you got to the old hippie in me.

My older daughter is one of those math types btw. She was studying calculus FOR FUN when she was in Grade 8. She is the only person I know who got busted for CRASHING a math course that her university did not offer! (Teacher was enthralled and let her continue)

Hair. I loved it. Still do. You are so lucky to have seen it in the flesh first time around.

What got me was your comment about all these lovely intelligent people who just skipped the sixties. Who just don't "get it". My family just walks away or scorns me if I say anything that is not the norm and they are educated also. A few weeks ago my sister in law, a lawyer turned surgeon, just about bit my head off when I suggested her once magnificent veggie garden was not thriving due to chemtrail contaminants. I just stopped.

It puzzles me. They are intelligent. They just don't hear. Last recession, I predicted it months ahead of time. A few lost heavily on the stock market and ONCE someone said, "you might have had a point". DUH.

We can only keep on sweets.... that is all we can do. Hope the ripple effect has some... effect.

who+dares+wings said...

What's sad is that there were eminently readable and even prophetic social thinkers like Lawrence Dennis, Revilo Oliver and Wilmot Robertson at the peak of their powers in the 60's and none but a handful of people, including conservatives, paid them any heed. They watched William F. Buckley on TV and read Norman Podhoretz, or if they were "hip" it was Norman O. Brown. I got over my Sixties nostalgia by reading Michael Horowitz's and Ronald Radosh's memoirs of the era. It turns out the Pied Pipers were all Red Diaper Babies. The Chicago Seven trial was a Jewfest! The judge was an old Jew confounded by new Jews. Same scenario in the Pacific Northwest where you'd think there would be a dearth of Red Diaper Babies. Not at all, all the activists on the scene there were Jews, too.
I tell people that went through the '60s with me about the ZOG now and they think I'm crazy. They're still reading Susan Sontag, listening to Bob Dylan and discussing Noam Chomsky when it's not a conversation about Foucault, Lacan, Guy Debord and all the other French picklesnoots. They think they're informed because they live, eat and breath Yiddishkeit. I feel like Kevin Mccarthy in The Body Snatchers which was supposed to be a cinematic parable about Communism which is what? Judaism in a hurry!

Timster said...

James - Shhh...don't tell anyone.

Timster said...

Marigold - Thank you for your heartfelt comment!

Timster said...

Noor - Yep. We had to panhandle around the village for weeks to afford the tickets...they were some outrageous price like six bucks a piece!(grin) It was amazing to see. Song after song by Macdermot singing our souls.
We keep tryin...

Timster said...

Wing - "Picklesnoot" HA! Never heard that one! What a hoot.
Yeah, I used to read Buckley...then he fired Joe Sobran for antisemitism...what a whore. I have written reams on the hijacking of the sixties...nobody listens..sigh...

glengear said...

So very unfortunate that intelligence, heart, understanding doesn't come together in a nice wrapped package. Brillant people may be smart, but can't understand the humble caring ways of life. They grasp things the humble ones can't fathom. Yet, they can't fathom the simple things, the humble see clearly.
I can see clearly now... That the end is near... If only, WE, could see in the dawn of life... What We, now hold so dear...
BEAUTIFUL POST MY FRIEND!!! glenster

kenny's sideshow said...

I saw 'Hair' in one of the first national tours in Nashville, I think '69. Remember at the end where the lights were cut and then the cast for a split second stood lined up across the lit stage nude before cutting the lights again? They dressed quickly and actually allowed folks to come on stage and mingle with the cast and shake their hands. It was 'cool.'

In later years hindsight I always thought it was a jewish show as most on Broadway were so you rekindled a fondness of memory by pointing out it wasn't.

"Easy to be hard" was/is a great song. We actually saw Three Dog Night perform it around the same time.

Despite the 'pressure,' some of us still carry with us the best of the 60's idealism. I see no reason not to.

beaver said...

Hey Timster, as usual, great post. I have a friend who thinks everything I say is anti semitic when I tell her listening to BBC and NPR does not make you hip, or well informed. LOL. Her degrees in history have all the earmarks of bad trivia she has memorized through the years. She refuses to look at research that doesn't agree with the bull she was required to memorize. Funny thing, she holds this trivia holy, as if it was a religious experience. Enough ranting for now,

Keep going
M. Beaver

Timster said...

Glenster - Thanks.

Timster said...

Kenny - The NY company finished with a reprise of "let the sunshine"...got everyone singing with them and pulled them up on the stage. What a thrill for a 18 -year-old. I saw 3DN do that song at the county fair in L.A. about 15 years after they had their hit with it...it was ok, I guess. Never really cared for them that much...but it was a free concert so...
Glad you got to see the play back then before they changed it. I just saw a jootoob vid of a HS production of it...they were singing "...prisoners in SHANTYTOWN, it's a dirty little war..." Kinda takes the punch out of it...hahaha.

Timster said...

Beav - Thanks. Amazing how they cling to those myths, huh? It's as if they just don't have time to deal with it. Sigh.

Genie said...

Your sister reminds me of the ghost in the tree. Or that old James Stewart movie with the invisible bunny, forgot the name of it. It's RIGHT THERE and yet we have these people standing right next to it who can't see it. My family is the same and so are most of my old friends.
I was too young for HAIR and every other cool thing about the 60's. I came of legal age in the 70's which is the biggest rip off in life...thanks for reminding me! Jimmy, Janis and Morris were already dead...the Manson murders put a dent in the vibes...most of the hippies were burned out from drugs...I hated everything about the 70's and there I was, free at last! But as you say....THESE are interesting times and I do believe I am just the right age to "see the ghost in the tree." Yep, it really is there!

Blammo said...

Hey Genie, have you read the Dave McGowan series "Inside The Laurel Canyon: The Strange but Mostly True Story of Laurel Canyon and the Birth of the Hippie Generation"? davesweb

Thanks Timster, insightful and well articulated. I always enjoy your writing.

Timster said...

Genie - Harvey was his name. And yes, the devil is in the tree. Spooky movie, if that's the one you are talking about.
Can't say I disagree about the 70's. It was a time of disappointment...watching the country return to the materialism of the 40's/50's. A dream hijacked.

Timster said...

Blammo - Thanks.

Genie said...

yes, thanks Blammo, I will look right now online to see what it is about.

Genie said...

oh wow, I found it. Inside The Laurel Canyon. Fasinating stuff, I will read the whole thing!
http://www.whale.to/b/inside_the_lc.html thanks again Blammo!

Genie said...

oh Blammo had a link for me anyway...I just noticed...LOL
I just finished that whole thing. That was a GOOD READ. Creepy creepy creepy. Fasinating.