Sunday, October 31, 2010

No Delights...

"I have of late, but wherefore
I know not, lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercise;
and indeed, it goes so heavenly with my disposition;
that this goodly frame the Earth, seems to me a sterile
Promontory; this most excellent Canopy the Air
look you, this brave ore-hanging, this Majestical Roof,
fretted with golden fire: why, it appears no other thing
to me, than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapour.
What a piece of work is a man! how Noble in
Reason. How infinite in faculty. In form and moving
how express and admirable. In Action, how like an Angel.

In apprehension, how like a God. The beauty of the
world, the Paragon of Animals; and yet to me, what is
this Quintessence of Dust? Man delights not me; no..."


-Wm. Shakespeare

3 comments:

Ragnarok said...

you know timster i've never got that piece until now. Seeing it now, i believe he was being as sarcastic as he could manage. How right he was, what a piece of work we are indeed

Timster said...

Ragnarok - Yes, to me it is obvious. But so few seem to understand it that way...even professed scholars. In the Bard's original manuscript he had question marks after each bit of "praise" of man...

Mel said...

i am so glad, i had been made familiar with shakespeare.. though i can't get all of it.. i was taught of his sarcasm, and dry wit, that the masses never knew... even today, most people don't know of the "the bard", or straton on avon.....thankyou for your posts.