Friday, January 29, 2010

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...

Now this is guaranteed to lose me more readers...but, I gotta say it.
J.D. Salinger dead at 91. Why is it that the good die young and worthless members of the "tribe" seem to live on forever?

When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's there was a hella controversy going on about "Catcher in the Rye", Salinger's principle effort. Every snit of a librarian and what we would now call moral watchdogs, tried to get the book banned and put out of print.
For kids, this had the "banned in Boston" effect of underground popularity. Everyone kept a copy of it hidden somewhere, simply because we weren't supposed to. I think I was maybe 14 when I first read it. I don't remember my exact age, b
ut I do remember it's effect on me. It was all the DAR said it was and more. It had every slice of decadence that a kid could think of.
During all the brouhaha that it caused I remember also reading and he
aring a lot about teenagers committing suicide...and found with this tome clutched in their hands. For a while I put that down as a BS campaign to discredit this, the bible of the rebellious youth of the times.
Later on in college years I re-read the book and was astonished to realize what our parents were talking about concerning it.

Of course by today's standards, on the face of it all, it seems a bit tame to have caused such an uproar. But if you examine the tale you begin to understand the horrible view of life Salinger's protagonist had. You can also see why so many impressionable children were damaged by it. It wasn't just the "sexy bits" of the book that was having such an effect upon it's young readership, it was the gloomy, depressing outlook of the character that set the stage for many of the generation
that read it.

I like to think of the book as the first truly jewish exposure that most kids of my generation received. I wish they had succeeded in getting it put out of print. Although I have never been a big fan of censorship, when kids are exposed to self-indulgent, morbid garbage like this, I have to think there may be some merit to book burning. Salinger said at the time in his defense that it was intended only for adult readers...but I gotta call bullshit on that. It was targeted toward young teens. An adult would find nothing of value there...or at least that I can see. There is nothing in the book that is at all positive, nothing that celebrates life in the least. Nothing hopeful. These are the natural emotions of mid-teens that should not be encouraged. And definitely not by some jew with little to no writing ability just for a buck and the notoriety that it brought him. The rest of his works...poetry..novels...mundane at best. Self-indulgence personified. Nothing of real value.

John Lennon dead at 40.

Of course also, I can't help thinking, for the last 30 years...that had this jew not published that piece of shit , John Lennon may have lived. If you take the story as truth (although there is some debate as to whether Chapman really pulled the trigger), Mark Chapman, in his warped mind, killed Lennon because of that damned book. What price-jewish art?

So yeah...ding-dong-the witch is dead. And if I believed in a hell, I would wish that Salinger was there...reaping what he has sown. Good riddance, fucker.

4 comments:

veritas6464 said...

Hey Timster, Here here! I don't know how you managed to get through it, I tried several times because of peer group pressure (un-spoken) but no, I could not muster the energy to read that shyte. Fuck salinger and fuck Jew Media manipulation.
LL&B!

PG.

timster said...

Thanks for that. I read all his stuff...it was the thing to read in college. I kept thinking "people like this shit?" ...

Lukiftian said...

It would appear that I grow daily more fortunate never to have read any of Salinger's work. But I wonder, was Catcher in the Rye worse than Beautiful Losers? If so, oy veh! But maybe I should, just to say I did. It's like... sci-fi-- right?

timster said...

Well, there isn't much worse than Leonard Cohen. But yeah...pretty decadent/worthless stuff. The problem with it was that it was aimed toward the young reader. It was a tale of Holden Caufield, a jewish kid and his "nobody understands me" whining and his seedy adventures...slice of life bs. Not science fiction...no. Don't bother reading it.