Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Chipping Away...


I don't really have a "metaphysical" side. Unlike many writers on the blogosphere I just calls em like I sees em. Les Visible(my hero) over at Smoking Mirrors, has a theory that divine intervention is coming. He feels the vibrations of a rising storm against the inhuman forces now at work on a world of decent people. Good for him. I hope he is right.

I used to work with a guy, that was pretty smart. Not well educated, but he had a wisdom all his own. I won't say he was the original "dog-faced boy"...but he was not an attractive specimen...in the least. Anyway, we worked in the same department as one of those knock-out blonds that turn heads. You know the type of beauty that I mean...a REAL looker. She was nice enough. Perhaps a bit vain, but who could blame her. I'm sure she had spent a lifetime of being admired for her looks and that can
deeply skew one's self-perception, I'm sure.
For months after she began to work in our area, my friend could always be seen talking to her. At first she was polite and then, as time went by, you would hear them chuckling and teasing a bit together. I asked my friend what the hell he was doing. He said "I know, I know...she's way outta my league...but she's a really great girl...gotta keep chipping away" He did. They wound up dating...and yes eventually marrying. Turns out they were perfectly suited for each other, and are still together today.
I always remember that tack my friend took. Keep chipping away at those things you really want.

I see my meager efforts here combined with many, much more talented writers than I, as chipping away at what we want. The wall will tumble. I'm with Les. Maybe all of us chipping away is what he feels. I just feel it will take a lot of busy workers out here . I got my little hammer and I wouldn't sell it for a million bucks...

3 comments:

Persephone_42 said...

Shall we whistle while we work?
Given my rekindled irritation, I think we should start with "Mercedes Benz".

timster said...

My friends all have Porsches, I must make amends...

Persephone_42 said...

Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends ... lala lalalala la lalalala.